Baked Chinese style sweet and sour chicken
Baked sweet and sour orange chicken
I made an awesome baked sticky orange chicken. I tried several Asian recipes before finding the right one and you’ll never guess which country i found this recipe in.. Israel ! I have changed it to suit my families needs and I baked it not fried it and Let me tell you, it won’t disappoint, this golden, crispy baked chicken is smothered in sublime orange sauce. It’s both sweet and sour just bursting with flavour.
This midweek dinner will be a new favourite.
Chinese Orange-Style Chicken
· Batter ingredients:
· 1 cup plain flour
· 1 tablespoon soy sauce
· 1 egg
· ¾ cup water
· ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
· ¼ teaspoon black pepper
· 1kg chicken breast or chicken thigh fillet cut into bite size pieces
· Can of oil spray
· 1-2 tablespoons oil
· 5 garlic cloves, crushed
· 1 tablespoon grated ginger
· 1 ½ tablespoon white sugar
· 1 ½ tablespoon brown sugar
· ¼ cup soy sauce
· Salt and pepper, according to taste
· 1 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
· 1 tablespoon cornflour
· 1 tablespoon water
1. In a large bowl mix the batter ingredients together throughly.
2. Stir in the chicken pieces and make sure they are all nicely coated and place in the fridge for half an hour.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 180C
4. Line two baking trays with baking paper and place chicken pieces on top. Make sure that they are not touching.
5. Spray with oil and place in the oven.
6. Once they turn golden, turn them over and spray with oil again.
7. Cook them for approx. 15 minutes each side.
1. 1-2 tablespoons oil over medium to high heat. Fry the garlic and the ginger until fragrant. Stir in the white and brown sugar until melted.
2. Stir in the orange juice, and soy sauce.
3. Stir in the chicken pieces. Bring to the boil.
4. In a cup, mix the 1 tablespoon of water with the cornflour until smooth.
5. Stir into the pot, lower the heat and allow sauce to thicken.
6. Serve with rice.